Amplify your garden at night
Look out your window. All you see is an unending blanket of snow and ice, howling winds, and can you practically feel the -30° temperature chilling you to the bone. If you want some distraction to get you through these frosty winter months, close your eyes and picture relaxing in your very own backyard paradise this summer. The sun basking down, with great company and even better beer…but what happens when the sun sets? Just because it gets dark doesn’t mean you have to call it a night. We’ve got some ideas to make your landscaped backyard the place to be, even after sunset.
Accent lighting provides many important benefits. For one, lights along pathways and next to staircases keep you safe no matter what time of night. Mood lighting adds atmosphere and helps enhance the look of a backyard. Let’s explore some of the more innovative accent lighting options on the market:
- Accent lighting is best used to enhance existing landscape features. For example, use uplighting to highlight key landscape elements like trees or a koi pond.
- Go incognito with garden accent lights disguised as flowers and plants.
- Add a touch of vintage charm with iron sconces. Using concealed LED light bulbs will allow the intricate scrollwork to shine in all its glory.
- Solar-powered LED lights shaped liked patio pavers are an innovative way to light up your backyard. Plus, they’re eco-friendly!
- Miniature LED string lights connected to bendable wire can be wrapped around tree branches or railings for a dreamy, starry design.
- Smart LED accent lighting provides you with the illumination you need, but with minimal light pollution and energy usage.
- Tiki torches add a tropical party mood to your backyard, and they can also be easily stored away once the party is over.
Fire features are a captivating inclusion in any backyard, and they have the extra benefit of adding mood lighting to the landscape. Cuddle up with your loved one and a glass of wine next to a copper fire pit, or chat with friends around a sleek concrete fire table. Add decorative fire bowls around the pool or as accent pieces on your staircase’s banisters. Linear fire inserts can add a stunning effect to pools and hot tubs. These are just a few examples of the magic that happens when fire and night are combined in a landscape design. Just remember, if you are planning to incorporate fire features you must check local fire regulations in advance.
Make the most of your backyard, no matter the time of day. As one of Ottawa’s most respected landscape companies, we’re on your side every step of the way, from design consultation to construction and maintenance. Give us a call at 613-260-8175 – let’s talk landscape.